Founded ten years ago, Climate Home News is one of the leading independent voices covering the climate crisis. We aim to be the go-to media outlet for a global community of doers and thinkers seeking to understand the political, social and economic drivers of the climate crisis and climate action.
As the social media manager, you will be working directly with the editorial team to share breaking news and original reporting. We are looking for someone who can expand the reach of our journalism and play a key role in shaping the voice of our news outlet.
You will be responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring strategies to increase Climate Home News’ reach and impact across social media platforms. You must know your way around Twitter (our biggest following) and Instagram (a platform we would like to develop more). Experience of others, such as Reddit and TikTok, is a bonus.
We’d like you to focus on:
- Defining the audience for each of our channels
- How we can grow our following
- How we can reach new audiences
- How we can get more post engagement on each platform
- Experimenting with new channels and ways to engage a wider audience
You will report directly to the editor and work closely with the editorial and commercial teams. You’ll be working part time, averaging 4 hours a day Monday to Friday. You will join regular news meetings to find out what stories are coming up and discuss how best to amplify their impact.
Pay and terms
The role pays £320 for a 20-hour week. There is some flexibility over the hours, with an expectation to attend online meetings at set times.
We work remotely with occasional meetings in person. You will be on a freelance contract and need to have a computer and internet set up to work from home.
You must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
What you’ll do:
- Own and evolve our social media strategy to drive audience growth and engagement.
- Plan and maintain our social content calendar across all key social media channels (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Work with our editorial team to devise new and innovative content ideas to promote and elevate our journalism
- Schedule content across channels, making room for reactive or quick-win content opportunities when necessary
- Be engaging and responsive on social channels, with an ability to think on the spot and use judgement on how and when to respond
- Use our web and social analytics to guide us in making decisions for our future strategy and direction
- Report regularly on the impact of social efforts, and log engagement and significant shares to use in marketing and other promotional material (such as annual reviews) for Climate Home
What we’re looking for in our social media manager:
- Experience managing consumer-facing social media accounts, with bonus points for accounts in media or publishing
- Understanding of the publishing industry and an interest in the politics of the climate crisis
- Knowledge of how social platforms work, with a deep interest in the latest social media trends
- Experience running paid media campaigns on social media platforms
- Ability to write engaging and clear copy
- Ability to create and edit content using branding guidelines and tools such as Canva or Photoshop for use across social platforms.
Desirable, not essential:
- Short-form video editing skills
How to apply
Send your CV, a one-page analysis of Climate Home News’ existing social media presence and a covering email of up to 400 words to the editor Megan Darby at [email protected].
Tell us about your best performing social media initiative (with examples) and your vision for boosting engagement and reach at Climate Home News.
Application deadline: 9:00 BST, 19 April 2022
Interviews: week beginning 18/25 April
Start date: as soon as possible
The deadline for applications was extended after initial publication.